Raging Bull - Movie Review

I'm never really a fan of sports movie or sports itself. The impugning competitiveness and toxic masculinity that is ingrained in it takes away the amusement for a gay kid like me. I was always afraid to be physically destructive or to inflict hurt and get hurt at the same time though I did some try-outs when I was in High School but my enthusiasm always suddenly fades out, it never really stayed like the way I stan Mariah Carey since I heard "Vision of Love" 

Filipinos in particular are obsessed with Basketball and Boxing but this could be the reason my Pinoy card could be revoked, I'm not interested at both, the only thing I liked with basketball is the shoes and Kyle Kuzma and in Boxing, none.

That's why maybe I am very hesitant to watch any Sports themed movies, cause I never really understood it cause most of  what I have watched before was more focused on the technicalities of the game? Predominately, all story line was the same, they start from a failing guy then comes the motivation and in the end, his team won the finals. I'll probably watch it if it's either more of a comedy (She's the Man or Blades of Glory) or fantasy (Angels in the Outfield or Space Jams).Though I am meaning to watch Rocky, Million Dollar Baby and Hoop Dreams but the closest sports movie that I admired and cherished was Billy Elliot (the kid was training to be a boxer wasn't he?)

Raging Bull has a different hit, if it wasn't for the Boxing ring, costumes and that it's from the autobiographical of a real boxer, I wouldn't really think that I am watching a movie about boxing. The combat was shot as if instead of wearing protective gloves both fighters are wearing ballet shoes, even the punches and spat of bloods was artistically done. 


My two favorite fight scene was when he defeated Tony Janiro after everyone was fueling his insecurities of how pretty he was and during the fight they really focuses on how Lamotta tried to disfigure his face as a way to get revenge to everyone which was present in the audience and the other one was his last fight against Robinson, where the camera leveled with Robinson as if showing how Lamotta suddenly was pulled down from his high horse.

It was also shot in black and white which for me was an effective way to evoke a certain era and also toning down all of the aggression in the film, it was also said that it was a decision to specifically deviate it from Rocky.

The charming Robert De Niro who portrayed Jake in the film was so attractive even with those prosthetic nose, I also thought he wore a fat suit during the later years of Jake Lamotta but I learned that he did gained 50 pounds for it. Do you think this is where Christian Bale got his inspiration? :)

I find it hard to find any faults in this film other than getting a sympathy Jake Lamotta.

Add caption





Comments